Monday, April 27, 2015

Free write

     I was born into a common family. My dad's a geologist and so is my mom. They like good movies, detective shows, and chocolate. They are both christian (dad catholic, mom protestant). Once they get an idea in their head, it would take god himself to change their mind. They also value education and their kids education which is where I come in. I am a boy, 15, at the age where I'm supposed to 'find myself', which is what my mom says high school is for. I love my parents; they raised me. Taught me to be honest, not to steal, respect adults, all the basic ideals that are generally thought to of to be the foundation for a kid to grow up and be successful.

     Their are different types of success, and different opinions on what those are.

     I never really listened to music until 5th grade. I had my parents music (John Prine, Beatles, some Aaron Neville), but I never really listened to it, it was kinda like white noise. I shouldn't say that, I heard it, learned some words, but never listened to the ideas, what the words I was saying meant. In 5th grade I got my first iPod. I mainly listened to hits radio, downloaded the catchiest ones or ones that I liked, and then put them on repeat more than the radios themselves. They were all the same, about partying, drinking, sex and what not. Eventually I dug into what wasn't on the radio. I found songs by people who yelled "FUCK SCHOOL" and "Do what the fuck makes you happy." within the same song. This came to me as a paradox. You have to go to school to get a job and go to college to be happy. My parents taught me that; taught me to get good grades and school comes first. This was all I had thought about until this point.

     These new artists I came upon preached disobedience and to disregard authority, just what you want even if you end up homeless and broke, because you can say that you did what you love. This seems like an all or nothing deal, and if it doesn't work out, then I don't know what to do. If I wanna do what I want, my parents probably won't accept that, considering that every time I play my music they refer to it as misogynistic, foul, and disturbing, without even giving it a chance, they just take it at face value.

No comments:

Post a Comment